You have bought your Yay4Play activity kit! Now what do you do?
- Aim to spend 10-15 minutes per day with your child focusing on an activity.
- Choose an activity to start with that is well within their range to give them confidence.
- Read out the instructions and check that they know what to do.
- If you aren’t sure of what the activity is, go online and watch the 1 minute video.
- Leave them for a while to play on their own or with a friend or sibling.
- Check in to see how they are doing and if you need to increase the level of the challenge.
- Build up to doing more and more activities when your child goes to the box themselves OR bring it out at least twice per week.
- If your child is struggling with some skills at school, use the activities to boost their gap areas.
- For example, if they aren’t gripping things well, use the pegs to build a tower of bricks.
- If they are giving up too easily and not focusing, choose an activity with a few steps to help build their ability to listen to instructions.
- They could have challenges around addition – If this is the case, use any of the activities that relate to maths, such as First to Four.
Watch your child develop the skills they need to spark their learning journey!